Life Changes

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Re: Life Changes

Post by jhwalker »

I think I am searching for some level of verisimilitude. Perhapa posted on the wrong thread. :whistle:

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Free gift -- no charge :clap: https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/#inbox ... rojector=1
I'm gonna screw around with this I think.
Desperation is a powerful driver :lol:

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

We are going to take a trip to some candidate states. Spend some time in Texas (not a high choice for me, but is for Terri). Then maybe swing over to the Florida Panhandle and spend some time. Still no nibbles on the property.. Not sweating it. :whistle:

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Post by SonicVenum »

Texas is big enough to have some good spots, but I did not enjoy the humidity in Austin in July. :oops: We were in El Paso in October a couple years ago, and the weather was okay. Seems like a relatively mellow area.

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

Part of our 'life plan' presumes that no one location will be great 12 months a year, and we plan to 'get out of Dodge' and travel when things are not great. We have folks that we enjoy (and enjoy us) that we will visit. And make the visit not financially a burden on them... We plan to spend at least a month each year in San Miguel -- we do enjoy it here. Adam and family will be Italy for the next 4 years. We have friends in Bath, England, in Prague, a friend who sails most of the year. We like Tulum, just don't want to live there. So we are looking for a new 'home base'. Maybe there 12 months a year, maybe 9 months a year. We enjoy traveling, seeing the grandkids, family, swapping lies. Knock on wood, just rocking and rolling along. My health is a question mark. I'm trying to be reasonably serious about it (the enjoyment of booze being a minor issue -- my distrust and dislike of doctors being another issue.)

jhwalker
Fifth Gear

Post by jhwalker »

For a while I was thinking about buying into a company (with some ownership control) to have something to do but Terri says I'm too much of a nutjob… :whistle:

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge »

Good to see that at least a couple of the old gang are still around. And, I still think that Terri is great, and, correct, as well. Good thing that she is keeping an eye on you, as no one knows what you might attempt without oversight.

Nearly perfect weather here in the high desert of So Cal, yesterday, during the day. I was outside for quite awhile, as I decided to do my once every two years oil and filter change on my Mustang, and the shop I used was very, very slow. But, they are also good people, and, motorcyclists as well, and they do nice careful work. Now, I can go another couple of years without a change, as Mobil 1 was at a decent price with a rebate at Costco, so, I got a couple of cases as the 2017 Mustang, that gets zero TLC, as I hate it, but, I am stuck with it, holds 8 qts, with a filter change. At least, I got the final year, 15-17 model, Mustang that I still could barely afford, as the 18's and up, equipped with good performance options only, are a lot more expensive. So, even though my 2017 is a mechanically unreliable wallowing in the corners, soulless in terms of snarl, dull, boring, POS, it still has the basic Mustang semi compact size virtue, and RWD, with a manual trans, and an American V8.

I also have been following the GT500 youtubers, and, that is sort of interesting, as it is very similar to the atmosphere that emerged when the Terminators began to hit the streets and were tested and modded, Of course, there was no youtube, so, we had to read posts and magazines, but, the excuses are the still the same. I have also seen multiple instances of sundry failures with the GT500's sophisticated electronics. Some were apparently minor, such as refusal to put the exhaust into track mode, but some killed performance completely, with the most common being the dual clutch getting too hot, and the car basically going to limp mode. It appears that the engine is reasonably stout, but, I have to wonder how the DCT will hold up if used for drag racing? It is pretty complex, and, based upon my beyond terrible experiences with Ford's warranty program, and the apparent lack of concern about dealer warranty work, it could become a nightmare if the trans fails. Ford did limit the engines torque in 1st and 2nd gears, and they limited the max launch RPM to 3200 RPM, and they put a shut down for clutch temps into the car. So, when the tune is altered, and, at some future date when they crack the code and get into modding the transmissions programming, it remains to be seen what happens?

PS: When Jay Leno drove the new C8, with the Chevy guy in charge, it was revealed that the C8 will be delivered with its power output limited by the PCM for the first 1000 miles. This, it was said, would allow all the parts to break in properly. By contrast, GT500's are being thrashed brand new by youtubers. And, since Ford dealers in So Cal are asking $20K over MSRP for base GT500's, and, $30K over MSRP, for track pack ones, bringing them to around $140K out the door, the C8, is starting to look pretty nice, on paper. But, then again, as long as people pay outrageous prices, the dealerships, who would kill you for 25 cents, will continue to demand inflated prices until demand slackens.

But, $100K out the door for a base GT500 Mustang? Makes my 2017 GT, seem as if it was a bargain, and, on a terrible evening, it still ran a ~111 trap speed at Famoso, with a 2.7, 60', and granny shifting all gears to make sure that I got at least one clean run in. And, that is still too fast to use anywhere near full capacity on public streets, as it is still pulling quite hard at 110+. But, what do I know/

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Post by SonicVenum »

That sounds like a great plan, James. Glad you guys can enjoy your retirement that way. :clap:

Pat, I agree about the GT500s being priced out of reach for us commoners. I'm sad your car has been giving you problems. I was really hoping to keep the 15-17 GT PP as a viable option for a future purchase, but your tales of woe have led me to limit my searches to 18+. The 16+ GT350s are still an option, if business keeps going as it is. I'll have to wait until I have the wife's car paid off, though.

Tetge
Fourth Gear

Post by Tetge »

Juan, I have my bad days, and, my not quite as bad days, and, I am just talking about mental attitude. So, I have to admit that there are also motoring related silver linings to be found. It seems, in my case at least, that, as I have become older, I also have come to realize the importance of making every effort to enjoy, and get the most out of your current life, as re-do's are not possible. So, one silver lining is that I had a 2003 Terminator, and a Busa, and a DR-Z SM, and, I had my bucket list fling with drag racing, and with being a mug on the streets, while the opportunity was there. I realize that people still engage in most of the things that I did back then, as the youtube videos show, but, although the feel of what they are doing is related to how we felt and acted, things have changed, including the costs of doing business. In 2003, I paid the $34750 MSRP, for my Terminator, which made it $38K, out the door, and it came fully optioned up at that price. It was not inexpensive, but, it also was still affordable for the common man. LACR was open multiple times per week, and still thriving, and there were a lot of other drag strips open in the greater So Cal world, and, I fell in with a fairly large group of "invaders" who delighted in schooling the world with their Terminators, which were the first really fast factory Ford Mustangs, with a few affordable bolt on's. There also was the Walker bar, that he kept raising upward, so, there was friendly competition involved. When I hit my first 11 second pass at Carlsbad, for instance, it was an epic moment for me.

So, now, I look back, and I am glad that I got to do what I did, and, that is the real silver lining. I admit that a GT500 might be a kick to drive, but, I remember how I became accustomed to the performance of the Busa, fairly quickly, and so I do not lust for a GT500, as, at the end of the day, it is still just a Mustang. That too is a silver lining, as lusting for the unobtainable can hurt, and, for sure, even at MSRP, the GT500 is unobtainablly priced for such a me.

So, live it up while you can, as the future will always be uncertain, and, at times, fickle, and seemingly even cruel. Hell! I may pump up the almost flat tires on my KTM, and take a ride, as it still speaks to me when I can muster up the strength to ride it, as, although it is not actually fast, it feels about as close to a race machine as one can possess in good old, clean air, no 93 octane, CHP regulated, California. You can hear all the mechanical noises; it has difficulty idling at 1700 RPM; it bucks and has chain snatch at any throttle opening under 4000 RPM; and it pops and crackles on decel, etc. Sitting relatively straight up, in the open air, it grants me a complete immersion in an illusion that I am still racing around like a crazed mug. But, as with so many other things in life, motorcycling is best left to the younger set, so, the KTM, sits..............

And, this rant, did relate to the thread title, as, indeed, life changes.

SonicVenum
Second Gear

Post by SonicVenum »

Beautifully put, Pat, as usual. :clap:

I will have to quote you on that when we discuss a GT350 purchase. :mrgreen:

Return to “Local and World News”